Landscape Architect / Project Manager, Oakland
Farmscape is seeking a Landscape Architect to join our growing team and assist with a focus on: sales, design & project management. This position is full-time, exempt and hybrid (in-office and from home).
Schedule: Monday- Friday, 8:00am – 4:30pm
Supervisor: NorCal Principal
In this role, you will be the lead for the Northern California design department and work with the support of the Farmscape Design Team in Los Angeles. (Currently, there are no direct-reports for this position). Locally, you will share sales responsibilities with the Principal, attending client meetings and assembling proposals for residential, multi-family and commercial projects.
Your primary work will consist of the creation of design documentation of projects from schematic design, design development and construction documentation. Farmscape is a design-build company, so while you will be a daily user of AutoCAD, Google Suite and Adobe Creative Suite Programs, you will also be working in the field. This consists of: coordinating with our installation team, visiting project sites for site analysis, client meetings, soil sampling, plant layout and document job progress. You will be asked to create takeoffs for estimates, communicate with vendors, generate plant lists and place orders. As a design-build company, this department is also responsible for maintaining and updating company standards for the Design and Installation Teams.
As a design-build company, this department is also responsible for maintaining and updating internal
company standards for the Design and Installation Teams.
The ideal candidate will reside within commuting distance of our Oakland office and have the ability to
work remotely from home, as needed (once the onboarding process is complete).
- Landscape Architect, licensed in California
- 8+ years experience in a Landscape Architecture or Landscape Design office
- Bachelor’s Degree in Landscape Architecture or related field
- Sales experience
- Design Project Management experience
- Fluent use of AutoCAD (2014 or later)
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch-up, Google Suite programs
- Hand drawing & drafting skills
- Knowledge of local building codes applying to landscape design
- High-end residential landscape design experience
- Commercial landscape design experience
- Strong verbal and graphic communication skills
- Well-rounded, robust plant knowledge, with a focus on California natives, fruit trees and edible crops
- Organized, energetic, enthusiastic, self-starter
- Creative problem-solving mindset
- Exceptional time management skills, highly organized and ability to complete projects
- Flexible, open-minded with the ability to take constructive feedback and guidance
- Personal vehicle for jobsite visits
- Up-to-date Covid Vaccination required
Benefits for full-time staff include 2 weeks paid vacation, 11 paid holidays (including 1 full week in December when our offices are closed), mileage reimbursement, FSA & Dependent Care plan, health care and 401K.
Farmscape is the largest urban farming company in California, with a commitment to creating food-focused, climate-resilient landscapes. Since 2008, we have designed, installed and maintained hundreds of customized gardens as beautiful as they are abundant.
Our low-impact, sustainable Farmscapes are lively, vibrant spaces that feature native, low-water plants to complement the food we grow. As trusted local farmers, we grow food for single-family homes, master-planned communities, Fortune 500 companies, Michelin-starred chefs and World Series Champions.