Urban Farmer, Los Angeles
Farmscape seeks a full-time urban farmer for Los Angeles. Our farm team draws on extensive field experience and principles of organic and sustainable farming to manage over 100 residential gardens throughout Los Angeles. Farmers manage 10-12 residential edible gardens within a single region on a given day, and carry a ‘roving farm shed’ in their vehicles. Farmers work independently and are on-site weekly– planting, pruning, harvesting and engaging with clients in the field, with the support of the entire Farmscape crew.
Schedule: Monday – Friday, 7:30am- 4:00pm
Farm & Garden Management:
- Manage 10-12 residential farms; design planting layouts, oversee planting calendar, cultivate wide variety of annual vegetables, troubleshoot pest and disease issues, fertilize and amend soil, harvest produce, repair irrigation systems
- Maintain fruit trees and edible perennials, including fertilizing, harvesting, pruning, and pest/disease management
- Proactively prevent garden issues
- Manage consistent weekly schedule
- Manage inventory for gardens
- Document detailed service log of weekly visits in apps
- Collaborate with Farmscape staff to resolve complex garden issues
Customer Service & Communication:
- Maintain good customer relationships, both in-person and via phone/email with 10-20 clients
- Engage in weekly phone and/or in-person check ins with LA Residential Farm Manager
- Follow communication procedures, guidelines and expectations
- Provide weekly garden updates to clients
- Respond to customer concerns in a timely manner and communicate problems upward
- Represent Farmscape services in a professional manner
- Must be comfortable and willing to drive between multiple locations in greater LA region every work day
- Attend staff, service and training meetings as required
- Keep records of client/garden information in CRM system
- Track time and garden notes in QBT app
- Collect and enter garden data as requested by manager into spreadsheets
- 1+ year experience with annual vegetable cultivation required; 3+ years preferred
- 1+ year experience with fruit tree management preferred
- Valid driver’s license and a working vehicle required
- Ability to lift 50 lbs
- Ability to perform manual work, lift heavy objects, walk and stand for long periods of time
- Ability to perform physical labor outdoors in various weather conditions
- Related experience in landscaping, fine gardening, horticulture is a plus
- Ability to use various apps and technology
- Farm management experience or farmhand work is a plus
- Ability to learn and adapt to Farmscape best practices
- Friendly and clear communicator
- Organizational skills and attention to detail are critical
Benefits for full-time employees include: Health insurance, 401(k) plan with employer matching, FSA & Dependent Care plan, paid vacation, access to company vehicle and mileage reimbursement when needed.
Farmscape is the largest urban farming company in California, with a commitment to creating food-focused, climate-resilient landscapes. Since 2008, we have designed, installed and maintained hundreds of customized gardens as beautiful as they are abundant.
Our low-impact, sustainable Farmscapes are lively, vibrant spaces that feature native, low-water plants to complement the food we grow. As trusted local farmers, we grow food for single-family homes, master-planned communities, Fortune 500 companies, Michelin-starred chefs and World Series Champions.
Farmscape is an Equal Opportunity Employer: It is the policy of Farmscape to provide all persons with equal employment practices and opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, veteran or marital status, criminal history unrelated to job duties, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.